Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Monday, February 12, 2018

A Rainy Night (by Bai Juyi)

So much rain we've been having, the frozen earth has given way to a pliant, soggy mess underfoot.  Yesterday I had a chance to resume my translation practice and I found this lovely poem to translate by Bai Juyi, appropriately enough, called Rainy Night.  After a hiatus of several weeks it felt good to be immersing myself in Chinese characters again, puzzling them out as the rain beat steadily on the roof overhead.


I’m somewhat reflective
Living apart
Far off in the country

I’m somewhat drawn to events
They register deep in my gut

From my native place
I dare not stray far
Not today
Nor far in the future

In the depth of my being
It must not be otherwise
Not tonight
Not as I see it

In the present situation
Lamplight disturbs
The night
Sitting alone
In this empty room

Autumn is passing by
Dawn is yet to come
The wind and rain
Continue apace
In a dim gray light

Not studying
The monastic way
But following the heart
Tranquil so we may forget


夜雨

白居易

我有所念人
隔在远远乡

我有所感事
在深深

乡远去不得
无日不瞻望

深解不得
无夕不思量

况此残灯夜
独宿在空堂

秋天殊未
雨正苍苍

不学陀法
前心安可忘



-->


1 comment:

  1. This seems very much to be the poem by Bai Juyi quoted by Junichiro Tanizaki in the chapter 9 of his roman ""Captain Shigemoto's mother"(Shooshoo Shigemoto no haha) I read a Spanish translation through English. But there are differences. I hope you will be able to find out that book.

    ReplyDelete