Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Thursday, October 19, 2017

A Poem Inscribed on the Inside of the Chimney


for Neil Silberblatt


One night this summer
My wife and I were woken
From sweet slumber
By the furtive sound
Of a squirrel scratching
At the inside of the chimney
Which descends through
Our bedroom wall

And I thought to myself
Scratching at the chimney
Words etched in soot black
How apt a metaphor is that
For my own poetic endeavors
Before falling back asleep and
In the cradle of darkness
Finding complete release
As the squirrel soon did too




The image I chose to accompany this poem is by the contemporary Chinese artist Chen Fanyuan.  He is an abstract calligrapher -- if you can even begin to imagine such a thing -- and I love the luminous quality of his work.  This image is one that seems to come closest the poem the squirrel inscribed and I tried to translate in my dream. 

1 comment: