Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Reply to Rilke ... About that Cloak




Isn’t it possible
That God’s true cloak
Is no cloak at all?
The golden mist covering
The field will dissipate
Not long after dawn
Nor need our hands
Hide the truth from our eyes
Once the mist is gone
Instead let them lie idle
Alongside or clasped 
In mudra or prayer
Not busy making
Or creating
Only abiding

***************

This poem is written in reply to Rilke's poem, God's True Cloak, from The Book of Hours.  You can read a beautiful translation of Rilke's poem here, by Joanna Macy and Anita Bowers.  What often happens to me when I read Rilke is that I'm filled with more with questions than answers.  He unsettles me, which I suppose is one measure of his greatness in the realm of the spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment