Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Meaning of the Spring Beds Revealed

For backyard gardeners this week is pretty much the holiest time of year. It's when we first get down on our hands and knees and commence removing the straw in order to uncover the beds.  I can't tell just how thrilling it is to catch that first sight of the strawberry shoots and vines unfurling, with the small weeds trembling in their midst.  At the very moment of uncovering this bed, it is already teeming with life, just like a mosh pit, it's impossible to make even the slightest move for fear of trampling on some still pre-nascent leaflet that is not quite ready for daylight.

So here is a new poem I've written in honor of the moment this year's unfurling of the strawberry patch -




There is a deeper meaning
Found in those things embedded
Which is only revealed
To us once we get down
On our hands and knees
To inspect spring's first growth

There in the plush locus
We find the source
Of all our comforts
To be given and received  
In the vines and weeds entwined
And the strawberry leaves
Unfurling in vernal light
Announcing the race
Back to life

Just as well we might 
Disport ourselves one day soon
On the divan or couch
Gradually spreading out 
And ready to proliferate









2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, Love the photo, love the poem. You make me miss my garden in Orange. But I never had strawberries. Thank you. -Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Phil. I always think of your dad when I'm out there digging. I just wish I could grow eggplant the way he used to!

      Delete