Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Brief Sociological Digression - Lamport's First Axiom of Email Addiction


I’ve noticed something odd lately about my addiction to email.  It seems that the frequency with which I check my inbox is inversely correlated to the amount of email I am receiving at any given time.  Thus, the less email I receive the more inclined I am to check my inbox and vice versa.  If so, then this suggests that email addiction (more generally) is a form of isolation anxiety – it is the lack of signal that heightens our concern about our social standing; and conversely it is the overabundance of signal that compels us to tune out.  

Wouldn't it really be ironic now if I end up being better-known for this email theorem than for one of my poems.     See, e.g., the Ode to Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment