Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Monday, July 21, 2014

A Song for Yip



What started as
A faint sliver soon
Grew into an arc
Visible in its entirety
Extending from
Front to back
Thrilling us
 Like a riddle
Taking shape
Before our eyes

A tribe in the making
In awe we stood and
Celebrated with a pact
Sealed by the rainbow on high
To find sufficiency in things
Painted and poetic
Evident here and now
Across the expanse
Of this perfectly marbled
Mauve sky

Tell me then Yip
Why oh why
Can’t I 



*  *  *  *  *


This weekend we walked to the head of Weesuck Creek around sunset and saw the full arc of a rainbow take shape over the bay.  I'd never seen anything like it.  What a steady hand and eye it takes to work on that scale! I never realized that it takes time for Nature to work colors into the canvas just the same as for you and I.


This was the first segment to appear:




A few minutes later my wife pointed to the Southeast where we saw the other terminus:



And as the sky darkened the arc gradually and triumphantly emerged in full display:





On the walk back home I wrote my poem for Yip.




No comments:

Post a Comment