Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Monday, January 1, 2018

Words in the Heart Residing - a song for the New Year by Jiao Ran

Here's a short poem I translated this morning -- a short prayer I stumbled upon to begin the new year.  It was written by the Chan monk Jiao Ran in the second half of the 8th century but I think it serves nicely as a mantra for 2018.  The title is not easy to translate -- 寓言. In contemporary idiom this would typically be understood to mean A Fable, but, after reading the four short lines that follow, I don't think this properly reflects Jiao Ran's intent.  The title as have translated it is based on the literal and spiritual significance rather than idiomatic truth. 
  

Words in the Heart Residing

My path originates
In what is not me
Never thinking ill
Of humankind
Today going forth
Into the city
Wide awake to
The heart of truth  


寓言

皎然

吾道本无我
未曾嫌世人
如今到城市
此心真


Image by Kiyoshi Yamashita

 


No comments:

Post a Comment