Featured Post

The Journey to the West

Though we journey to the West We pray to the East More or less that's the way Each day begins and ends It’s a tale everyone ...

Sunday, May 24, 2015

My First Foreign Language Poem

Here's the first poem I've written in another language - in this case I started with Spanish, which is my first second language.  Here's what I wrote:


Belleza continua adelante
Sólo una milla de ancho Pero no obstante sigue siendo  
Mucho más allá de la piel  

- La Flor Azul Poeta



And here's my attempt to translate the poem from my first second language back into my first:

Even if Beauty continues being
Less than a mile wide
It nonetheless remains
Much more than skin deep

-- The Blue Flower Poet


This is actually not a composition that originates with me because it turns out that these are the exact same words the samurai is reading that had been inscribed in fine print on the inside lining of the cherry blossoms in the Japanese scroll painting shown below...





No comments:

Post a Comment